Under Departmental Order (DO) 556-73 An individual may obtain a copy of his/her FBI criminal identification record, upon request, for review and correction purposes, to challenge the information on record, or satisfy certain legal requirements such as a requirement for adopting a child; requirement to live, work, or travel in a foreign country; and/or other court-related matters.
A DO request cannot be submitted for employment and/or licensing purposes within the United States. National Background Check, Inc. (NBCI), one of only a select few companies within the United States to be awarded FBI Channeler status, has the capability to accept fingerprints on cards for an individual wanting a national fingerprint-based check on themselves through the FBI.
NBCI will expedite your fingerprints directly to the FBI under the Departmental Order for FBI Channeling. If you seek your personal FBI records, simply complete the following and send to our corporate office (address provided on the DO request form):
- Departmental Order (DO) Applicant Information request form(you can download this DO request form by clicking on this link)
- Your fingerprint card (FD-258) - can be downloaded from our FBI Channeling application (see section 1).
- Payment of $50 (per person) can be made in Check or Money Order - made payable to NBCI or by Credit Card (exception - Discover). **Please note: The $50 processing fee is non-refundable once the application is processed. If fingerprints are rejected by the FBI, we will make a second submission on your behalf, free of charge. If fingerprints are rejected a second time, you will need to send a new processing fee of $50 and 2 new sets of fingerprint cards.
- An FBI-approved Channeler may only process requests for a U.S. person (an individual who is a citizen of the U.S. or a lawful permanent resident of the U.S.).
- An FBI Channeler cannot apostille fingerprint search results. If an applicant needs an apostille, they must either apply directly with the FBI for a background check, or send the authenticated FBI document from National Background Check to the State Department for further action. Please go to their website for additional information -http://travel.state.gov. (You must obtain a printed copy of your background check from us if you wish to have it apostilled. E-mailed copies, which are then printed out, may not be accepted by the U.S. Department of State. The copy that you receive from us will be printed on security paper, and will be accepted by the U.S. Department of State.)
- An FBI-approved Channeler cannot process a request for employment and/or licensing purposes within the United States. This type of request should be coordinated with the appropriate state identification bureau (or state police) for the correct procedures.