Under Departmental Order (DO) 556-73 An individual may obtain a copy of his/her FBI criminal identification record, upon request, for review and correction purposes, to challenge the information on record, or satisfy certain legal requirements such as a requirement for adopting a child; requirement to live, work, or travel in a foreign country; and/or other court-related matters.
A DO request cannot be submitted for employment and/or licensing purposes within the United States. National Background Check, Inc. (NBCI), one of only a select few companies within the United States to be awarded FBI Channeler status, has the capability to accept fingerprints on cards for an individual needing fingerprinted through the FBI that is not a federally legislated reason.
NBCI will expedite your fingerprints directly to the FBI under the Departmental Order for FBI Channeling. If you seek your personal FBI records, simply complete the following and send to our corporate office (address provided on the DO request form):
- Departmental Order (DO) Applicant Information request form (you can download this DO request form by clicking on this link)
- Your fingerprint card (FD-258) - Which can be downloaded directly from the FBI's website
- Payment of $50 (per person) can be made in Check or Money Order - made payable to NBCI or by Credit Card (exception - Discover).
- An FBI-approved Channeler may only process requests for a U.S. person (an individual who is a citizen of the U.S. or a lawful permanent resident of the U.S.).
- An FBI-approved Channeler cannot authenticate (apostille) fingerprint search results. A request for your FBI Identification Record or proof that a record does not exist must be submitted directly to the FBI if an apostille is needed.
- An FBI-approved Channeler cannot process a request for employment and/or licensing purposes within the United States. This type of request should be coordinated with the appropriate state identification bureau (or state police) for the correct procedures.
- All FBI Channeling results must be sent back to a US address. Results are prohibited from being shipped overseas.